Current:Home > MarketsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -ValueCore
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 01:58:03
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Netflix's 'Chris Rock: Selective Outrage' reveals a lot of anger for Will Smith
- Can you place your trust in 'The Traitors'?
- 'A Room With a View' actor Julian Sands is missing after he went on a hike
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Forensic musicologists race to rescue works lost after the Holocaust
- U.S. prosecutors ask for 25 more years in prison for R. Kelly
- This horrifying 'Infinity Pool' will turn you into a monster
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Rachael & Vilray share a mic — and a love of old swing standards
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Kelela's guide for breaking up with men
- Whatever she touches 'turns to gold' — can Dede Gardner do it again at the Oscars?
- Oscar nominee Stephanie Hsu is everywhere, all at once
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- 'Wait Wait' for Feb. 18, 2023: With Not My Job guest Rosie Perez
- We break down the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Richard Belzer, stand-up comic and TV detective, dies at 78
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
How should we be 'Living'? Kurosawa and Ishiguro tackle the question, 70 years apart
In 'Everything Everywhere,' Ke Huy Quan found the role he'd been missing
'Saint Omer' is a complex courtroom drama about much more than the murder at hand
Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
2023 Oscars Guide: Documentary Feature
'Brutes' captures the simultaneous impatience and mercurial swings of girlhood
What's making us happy: A guide to your weekend reading, listening and viewing